Lipoma and weight training

Talk about anything and everything related to lipomas and related healthcare issues here.

Moderator: matt

Re: Lipoma and weight training

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:10 pm

matt wrote:Dear Guest,

yes, your decription of brain lipoma is very general. I do not know whether it has anything to do with other lipomas but I would anxious to think so as it has the word "lipoma" in it. Or are medical doctors so stupid they call everykind of a lump as a lipoma?

I do appreciate you posting but your style of delivering the message is very authorative which in my case needs some backing up and referencies. I do think the level of doctors knowlidge varies as does the doctors own opinions about their knowlidge.

I hope you aren't so immature in everything that you have to rely on professionals everytime? I mean sometimes you can actually repair your car by yourself as well as your computer. This is especially true if you know more about the situation than the pro, don't you think?

Matt: There are actually different names for each of these "lipomas" but I agree with you that the term "lipoma" is overused to the point of causing confusion. Doctors would say "adiposis dolorosa" or "dercum's syndrome" whereas the patient would come on to this board and say "I have lipomas". For "lipoma on the brain", doctors would probably call that something like "congenital intercranial lipoma". Most but not all common lipomatosis would fall under "familial multiple lipomatosis". So yes, the word lipoma is used too broadly even by doctors, but patients writing on this board make this even worse by using "lipoma" without the more specific name.

For "lipoma on the brain": there is no mutation. The "tumor" is present at birth. It is not a disorder of mitotic control. The brain does not develop properly in the womb. Do you see how this is unrelated to common lipomatosis?

I almost never repair my own car. I replaced the car battery myself one time, but even in that case I had previously had an auto mechanic tell me there was a battery weakness so in that case when it later went bad I knew it was not a problem with the voltage regulator, or the alternator, or some sort of short circuit power drain. So when the battery later failed, I replaced it myself. But the electronics are so complex that in most cases I would have no way of diagnosing it myself. Why would I presume to know more than an auto mechanic about car repair?

I don't know what type of doctors people are seeing, but I am very surprised that they apparently know nothing about lipomatosis.
Maybe it is just a communication problem. Maybe in some countries the medical education regarding lipomatosis is lacking. Or maybe this is just a biased sample--people who happened to see bad doctors tend to end up on this board, whereas people how see decent doctors have less reason to follow this board.
akki
Number of lipomas: 31-60

Post by akki » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:20 pm

Copy-pasting my earlier post..

I do believe, there is a relation between lifestyle and lipomas. I had my first lipoma when I was 18 when I first started going to gym.

At 25 I had around 7-8.

Had some more when I again joined gym @25 for a year. But I never thought it was due to gym.

Today at 28 I have around 50+ of them. Around 25 grew in the last 6 months because I had intense training session and dieting during first 3 months. Lost around 10 kg but gained lipomas. My father (58) has two lipomas and my brother has 1 (he is 26). Grandpa has two too on back. I think there is a connection with intense work out. I know it is genetic but intense workouts provide the environment for the genes to show. I had never given much attention to back muscles. I started heavily on that and I have around 8 lipomas on my back. The most interesting was the one day workout, when my gym instructor took toll on my abs. And Guess what! I had 5 lipomas on my abs in 15 days.

I think I am lacking some chemical or I am producing it when doing heaving workouts which is causing these.

There are other people also who discussed the same thing...

http://www.lipomaboard.com/general-f2/b ... 4q7K9lWLIY
matt
Lipoma Guru
Number of lipomas: 61-100

Post by matt » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:35 pm

The common doctors I've seen do not know whether a trauma can or can't induce a lipoma. They do not know whether weight training might induce lipomas but how could they if they don't know a trauma can do it? I think they might think that it can't because most people who get traumas will never develop lipomas.

It might be that because I already suffer from lipomatosis that the lipomas are just more prone to pop up to exact spots of a trauma. It takes months before even the tiniest lipoma can be felt there. And it does not happen every time either.
Hi I'm Matt - the creator and owner of this site. I have dozens of small nasty lipomas all over. I've tried many treatments including surgery and Lipostabil injections. See my lipoma prevention supplement recommendations and please consider donating a small amount via PayPal (click the Donate button) to keep this site up and running. Thx!
LipoHK

Post by LipoHK » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:22 pm

After more than thirty years of both, lipos and weight training I can still not see any correlation. Just speaking for myself here, of course.

But catching up on some earlier posts, before the brain lipo-excess started, it is extremely easy to deceive yourself. Again and again, and even after decades. People start working out and all of a sudden become very body conscious. you look at yourself... more often, differently , from other angles etc. and surprise, surprise you detect those little buggers that might have been there all along.

On of the earlier posters mentioned significant weight loss in line with picking up up a work out regime. This is the easiest way to bring existing ones to the surface, fooling yourself into the belief they are new ones...just developing because of the work out.

Body fat percentage plays a larger role here. A bit more or less fat surrounding a lipoma which is close to the surface can make a lot of difference, optically as well as regarding the way it feels!

If you develop new muscles fast (beginners or guys that were off training for a while) this can also push lipoma more to the surface and "through the skin".

Finally hydration levels can play a major role regarding the skin's surface tension.
matt
Lipoma Guru
Number of lipomas: 61-100

Post by matt » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:29 pm

These guys puzzled over whether taking steroids could have caused a bodybuilder's lipoma:

There's a guy who says that his friend did steroid cycles years apart and everytime he did a new cycle new lipomas appeared. He doesn't want to claim that steroids caused lipomas but perhaps increased the growth rate.

I've never taken (at least intensionally) any steroids but it's interesting.
Hi I'm Matt - the creator and owner of this site. I have dozens of small nasty lipomas all over. I've tried many treatments including surgery and Lipostabil injections. See my lipoma prevention supplement recommendations and please consider donating a small amount via PayPal (click the Donate button) to keep this site up and running. Thx!
anon114

Post by anon114 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:36 pm

Hi again Guys

I recently got the lab results on the lumps cut out and was told that they are indeed lipomas.

As a comment to one of the remarks above, the surgeon who cut them out also suggested that I only became aware of my lipomas after I started weight training because of sudden weight loss on my part. This was not the case as my weight has always been the same since my teens. Also I became aware of each lipoma shortly after it developed, usually because it was preceded by itching.

In reply to the comments from "Guest" above, none of the doctors or surgeons that I spoke to (four or five in total) had any explanation as to why lipomas formed. They just say that some people get them and some don't. As I mentioned before, the surgeon who cut them out did not believe that they were related to weight training. Fair enough, that is what his training and teaching have taught him - it is the accepted medical wisdom on the subject. But I don't agree with it and am almost 100% convinced that there is a link with weight training. I have changed the way I exercise accordingly.

I've still got quite raw, red looking scars but was told they would go in 12 to 18 months.
unvictorious
Regular

Post by unvictorious » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:44 pm

I have done a lot of weight training in my life. I was weight training when I was a teenager and early 20's in college and never got a lipoma until I was 27. My father has lipomas and he never did any weight training. I do notice that they seem to become more painful and "harder" when I am regularly working out though. I think that might give the impression that you have more or it is causing them to get worse. I find if I am in stretches when I am not working out as much, they are not as hard, painful, or pronounced, but they are still there. Really tough to say.
ANDRES
Regular
Number of lipomas: 100+

Post by ANDRES » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:16 pm

Hi all.

Let me introduce myself: I am Andres Mesa. I was born and live in Spain, I have thirty-nine, and I have lipomatosis.

I am new to this forum. I think the best I know, there is much activity, much concern. And I notice that most of those involved have a great knowledge of the issues.

25 years I've been training with weights and doing harsh routines. I do natural bodybuilding (anabolic exercise), and surfing (aerobic exercise).

Take care of my diet. As little fat and this fat is healthy, lots of lean meat, vegetables, legumes, fruit, little milk, no fried carbohidratois complex ... I do not smoke, do not drink alcohol ...

And I began to have lipomas at age 25. But I started weight training at 17. So I was 8 years resulted in hard with weights, and without lipomas.

My father and my brothers have a few lipomas. But I have 150 or more. They are small, most of 1 centimeter, some of 2. I removed with surgery more than 100. The result was very good, especially in arms and legs. It is important to do a "plastic" surgeon .

I do not want more scars, and I'm investigating with you all, some non-invasive treatment. I created the most comprehensive Spanish-language forum. It takes little time working. Pick up information throughout the Internet. Forums such as this, and forums around the world. Translate discussions, articles, and I hope that Spanish-speaking people and intends to participate more. The more the merrier for all.

i don´t know if I can put the name or not. The address is:

http://lipoma.foroactivo.com/

But still people participate little. And I do is collect and organize all the information, as well as translate. I have visited many forums to create my own, but I think this is the best, this is where I found more information. Hopefully I can help with the Spanish speaking community in South America and Spain

Returning to the subject of bodybuilding, I thought my lipomas were due has an excess of protein. I take a lot, in the form of natural foods and nutritional supplements (but never took steroids). But I'm not sure if that is the cause. Also I know hundreds of people from different gyms, and only have 3 or 4 people lipomatosis.

I'm pretty muscular, weight about 105 kilograms with little fat, and lipomas are enough. Because there is little fat. I never realized if the lipomas were growing more, when I was gaining weight. Or if they were doing smaller when I've done some diet.

I have medical tests and everything seems fine. Although a homeopath told me I had a small dysfunction in the liver. That my liver is not well synthesized fats. And I am taking a homeopathic medicine he gave me. But no good results. I keep getting lipomas. I also stopped taking whey protein, creatine and other supplements, but lipomas keep coming.

If they were caused by trauma to the weight training ... why that do not occur in twins? I work a lot the twin. And why I didn´t have lipomas in the first 8 years of training.

I know a guy who used growth hormone a few months ago and was reduced lipomas.

I hope to contribute to finding a treatment. Start with beta glucan and hydrogen peroxide.

Greetings to all. Sorry for writing so much. And sorry for my translations.
ANDRES
Regular
Number of lipomas: 100+

Post by ANDRES » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:19 pm

Hello again

I forgot to mention that I am taking noni juice, omega3 and 6 fatty acids, and also tried the balm Thai. In addition to homeopathic products.

I have not produced positive results. Although it seems that when I take noni, I get less lipomas. But I'm not sure, maybe it's coincidence. Thai cream I used about 3 months, and did not feel any change. Although a Spanish forum a guy got a reduction of 30 percent of the size of a lipoma. But he said it was very laborious. Who spent much time massaging.

Greetings to all.
perviz

Post by perviz » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:11 pm

Hey everybody
I am 24 years old, I have multiple lipomatosis too and i am a doctor. I love working out but i stopped doing it about a year ago when I realized that there is a link between lipomatosis and exercise( not fitness but workingout) since then my lipomas stopped growing but didnt go away though. I know that all the doctors would tell you it has nothing to do with working out, let me explain it why there is a possible connection between them. When you exercise as everybody knows the grows hormon levels (such as insuline like grows factors and etc) elevates which signals muscle cells to grow, but these hormones are very unspecific meaning they can target any tissue in the body (in some people fat tissue) Lets say there is a fat tissue cell in your thigh and one of these hormon binds to its cell membrane or enters to the cell and goes to inside( depending on which hormone it is in nature) and promotes cell signaling which in turn causes mitosis( cell dividing) it continues on and on capsule forms around this cell clump and when the inside pressure comes to a point that cell multiplying stops( which is why this growth is called benign that differs from malignant growth in many ways which in most cases doesnt have capsule due to abnormal growth rate) The percentage of lipoma becoming cancer is about 0, yes 0, STOP WORKING OUT IF YOU HAVE MULTIPLE LIPOMATOSIS TOO. IT IS NOT THE ONLY REASON THAT CAUSES LIPOMATOSIS BUT WHAT THIS FELLA SAYS IS TRUE.
SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH, NOT A FLUENT SPEAKER.
surfsteve

Post by surfsteve » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:41 pm

Wow. Lots of people get lipomas from working out. Mine developed exactly where my windsurfing harness grabbed me and till I visited a doctor a couple of years ago I thought it might have been a hernia on my back. I had a smaller one on the other side in the same spot. Also I had a lump on my bicep develop but I never thought it was a lipoma a few years back. This was when my lipomas were huge and I couldn't even sleep on my back. I was trying to bulk up and bought a 50 pound sack of maltodextrin and the new lump developed about 2/3rds of the way through the sack. As soon as I noticed the lumps I threw it away and did a radical diet change. Looking back it was probably a lipoma but it went away and my other two have gone down. Seems like at the time I had many other sites that were itching and feeling stiff. I heard someone mention that happened before lipomas developed so maybe it was a good thing that I did a radical change in diet.
cinny333

Post by cinny333 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:40 pm

Hi,

New here - Quick intro, noticed my first lipoma in my shoulder when i was a 10/12 ish this went and i thought nothing of it. Then i started weight training when i was 23/24 at first i didnt use protein supplements then after a few years i started using whey. I started to get back ache (poss from training or from sitting in an office all day) and whilst digging round i notice two lipomas on my lower back around my belt line. I immediately went to the doctors and feared the worse he said it was a lipoma and nothing to worry about (easy for him to say) i went to another doctor a few years later when i found another one (in similar place on other side) and he said it was a muscle knot!! (i love it when the doctors cant agree NOT) This was 3 years ago so i figured if it was the dreaded C i would be dead by now! i am now 28.

I am not sure what camp i sit in - i think weight training made me more aware of my body and perhaps thats why i discovered the lipomas. I also believe there to be some link with the use of the protein shakes. Excess protein is stored as fat (to my knowledge) and perhaps i have been taking to much for my requirements, protein shakes metabolises very quick and perhaps my body cannot process it quick enough to help bulid muscle so is stored as fat and has led to thier growth?

I also believe trauma to be a cause - i sit at a desk for 9 hours a day and my belt continuously rubs against my back and the agaisnt the chair and this is exactly where the lipomas have formed- perhaps the limpoas have formed to protect the bone?

Anyway i cant stop exercising and weight training as it relieves a lot of stress and i get very achey sitting down all day but i have stopped taking protein shakeS.
damion

Post by damion » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:45 pm

I have kinda come to same conclusion Cincy. I noticed mine after I started lifting, and taking Whey protein. I took a scoop in morning, and afternoon even on Non-Workout days, and probably consumed too much protein in my diet. I'm 185, and lean, and have now also stopped taking any protein suppliments. also.. Daryll and his Pomaway has been completely useless after 6 months of using.
someone

Post by someone » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:06 pm

I also develop few lipomas after I start going to gym. Of suplements, I used only whey and in really small doses. So I don't think that's from whey consumption. I would like to know what you eat in that time? I change few things in my eating habbits...
Kyusho

Post by Kyusho » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:43 am

Hello, I am new to the forum. I am 45, and I have had 3 Lipomas in the last few years. I do only a little bodybuilding, typically with small doses of Whey. However, I believe that the cause is related to the martial arts I practice. The two lipomas removed appeared to be excessive tissue growth (fibrosis cyct) under the skin. They were both very painful when pressure was applied to the area, and highly sensitive to touch.

First diagnosed as a cyst, I had my dermatologist remove one from the front of my upper left leg, very close to the hip. When they went in, it was not under the skin layer as they expected. I explained that I could make it come to the surface by flexing my quadriceps . Upon doing so, the cyst was exposed in the hole they had created, and they were able to cut it out of the fatty tissue. This appeared larger than expected, and called a tumor by my doctor.

The second one was also removed by a dermatologist from under my nipple. This appeared to be a fibrosis cyst, more commonly found in female (in this location).

My latest one is under my arm, however behind the muscle. This one will need to be extracted by a surgeon, and is a much more complicated surgery.

The reason I tend to believe they are “post-traumatic lipomas” is that the strikes we do bring the force of the blow to a small point. Often this is done as a strike with a thumb, or the end of a wooden stick. The three locations are each kyusho locations (strike or pressure points), Butsumetsu, Koe, and Wapen (floating rib, femoral artery, and left breast).
Chroniclesoflipoma
Number of lipomas: 11-30

Post by Chroniclesoflipoma » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:34 am

Hi,
26/f/asian
I also noticed my lipomas when I started working out. But I've never worked out consistently, so am not very sure. But they did start to appear when I started the gym.
I'm a little worried now as I started personal training and weights this month. If there is indeed a relation that would mean more lipomas. I used to always find blue black bruising o my thighs and my lipomas have developed most there. I have two on my forearm and I noticed it appeared after a blue black bruising as well.

I lead a very unhealthy lifestyle of junkfood, smokes and cigarettes and a hell lot of work stress. 4+ years of it, so it could be a build up from the toxins I've accumulated. I have an uncle who has this and a cousin brother. No one else I know of.

The other change that I've done when it started appearing is laser hair removal. The doctor says there's no connection but it did start a month after the first treatment. Sigh I'm worried and depressed but the two good things I doubt most (laser and workout) are the ones I do not want to give up on. I'm ready to eat clean and quit smokes and limit my alchohol intake. I love this board and really hope someone finds a treatment. This is mad depressing :( and I hate it when the doctors say it's no big deal ignore.... want to go and punch them :X
prakash

Post by prakash » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:10 am

As I see lot of people stopped working out bec they feel lipoma are coming bec of heavy weights.did u guys find any difference or forming new lipoma. Over the years. Bec they commented around 3 to 4 years back. I guess they should have some positive results?
Master Member

Post by 251152 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:55 pm

Even if training causes more lipomas, from my experience, they're appearing anyway. And I'd rather have a well trained and healthy body, than a wreck, since i'll have to deal with them anyway. I'd advice the same to the rest of you, don't give up healthy lifestyle in exchange of some unproven promise of "less lipomas" where "less" is a very vague term and it may actually turn out that by not working out you accumulate more toxins and get even more lipomas.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
prakash

Post by prakash » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:53 am

Even i do heavy work out. So,I just wanted to know those who said lipomas are present because of heavy work out. As they have left from last 3 years or adapted to normal work out. Did it stopped lipoma accaurance or slowed it down?
Lawrence
Junior

Post by Lawrence » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:30 pm

I too like to work out. I can think of one possibility. If you take BCAAs such as Leucine, or eat a lot of protein, this can stimulate the mTOR pathway. mTOR stimulation can lead to Cancers. Perhaps the mTOR pathway is triggering the Lipomas somehow?

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1 ... ode=hnuc20