New here. FREAKED OUT!

Talk about anything and everything related to lipomas and related healthcare issues here.

Moderator: matt

jseguy
Number of lipomas: 11-30

New here. FREAKED OUT!

Post by jseguy » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:11 am

Hey everyone, been lurking for a few weeks here and wanted to post my story to see if anybody out there has or had a similar situation.

I'm a 33 year old Male. I'm about 70lbs overweight. I have a terrible diet, stressful lifestyle (self employed and going through a divorce). Pre-existing conditions include: Sleep Apnea, GERD and Anxiety.

Now that my glowing picture of health is out of the way... here's my story...

During the Christmas holidays I became ill - I had a mix of feeling like the flu and sharp stabbing abdominal and back pain. Upon clenching my abdominal area, I noticed a lump in my lower left abdominal area. When I went to my doctor for the flu, I expressed concern about this lump. It hurt a bit when I pushed on it. My doctor pushed on it, poked around and said "It's a Lipoma". (I knew already what they were, as I was looking up possible causes of abdominal lumps before my visit).

While I was feeling around the lump, I noticed that my stomach fat is very lumpy in general. My entire stomach fat feels like it's swollen underneath the skin -- I noticed though that there were several spots where I had these actual lumps.

He ordered an ultra sound of the 2 or 3 that we were able to feel (again, pain when pushed). I had a complete abdominal ultrasound. Nothing crazy popped up -- I have a fatty liver and the lumps appear to be consistent with Lipoma according to the doctor who reviews the images and my doctor concurred.

I was seeing a General Surgeon around the same time for my GERD issues, and my doctor suggested that I speak with him about these as well. The surgeon didn't seem concerned, even though these things keep popping up. Over the course of 2 months I have around 12 - 15 of these throughout my abdominal region and I'm feeling a couple in my back now as well (associated with pain).

Basically, I get these radiating pains and stabbing pains throughout my abdominal area and back, when I put my hand where the pain is and feel around... there is a lump underneath the skin. ALL of my lumps are under the skin, but I'm also overweight... I do have one very small one on my chest between my breasts that I've had since I was a kid -- the surgeon says that is also a Lipoma.

I have been totally stressing out about these things, convinced that I'm riddled with cancer... my last appointment last week, I marked EVERY lump I could find with a black marker before seeing the surgeon. Knowing my concerns, the surgeon told me that although he feels they are Lipomas... the ONLY 100% way to diagnose a Lipoma is to remove one and put it under the microscope. We decided to remove the most painful one that day... and I'm awaiting the results next week *fingers crossed*.

I have also noticed some swelling my left breast area that has popped up during the course of these unpleasant couple months, which is also very tender... again doctor didn't seem overly concerned -- doing some researcher of my own, it was found that Prevacid (what I've been taking for GERD recently) has been known to cause this... I have since stopped taken GERD over the last few days to see what happens... I have noticed the tenderness isn't as bad, but not sure if the swelling is going down yet...

So, a few things.. and I will know next week if these things are Lipomas. The re-assuring thing that my doctor and surgeon has both told me is "There is no cancer that presents like this, these are not lymph nodes that are swollen. This is all in your subcutaneous layer and you don't just get a dozen cancerous tumors popping up like this". The surgeon also removed some of the surrounding tissue and looked around while he was removing the lipoma and said that everything looks consistant with Lipomas he has removed in several people over the years.

So, possible causes of these Lipomas:

Fatty Liver
I've read a lot of articles where it's been suggested that liver dysfunction is thought to cause Lipomas. When the liver isn't able to release toxins probably, weird things happen such as Lipomas.

Stress
Going through a very stressful time right now.

Diet
My diet isn't that great, which I'm sure doesn't help the Fatty Liver and Stress.

It's freaking me out because it seems that every week that goes by, a new painful area pops up and sure enough... another lump :(

So, that's me... thoughts?

Thanks everyone. Looking forward to the lab results next week to know that we're not dealing with cancer or anything crazy like that -- but I'm also worried about Dercum's too. From a strictly aesthetic and vanity point of view, all of my Lipomas are UNDER my skin... this might only be because they are in area where I'm "fat"... I wonder if I didn't have the body fat, if these would be showing up through the skin (or even happening at all)
fb88
Number of lipomas: 61-100

Re: New here. FREAKED OUT!

Post by fb88 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:35 am

My lipomas might have increased a decade or two ago during stress from work.
Cancer tumor look a lot different than a chunk of lipoma fat.

If you are concerned about yourself to write such a lengthy post then you should work on your overweight issue and diet. Are you getting exercise to relief stress and reduce weight? Eat salads and whole grain for a few weeks. Who knows the long term effect of all the processed food and preservatives that we've been consuming...

What med are you taking for anxiety?
jseguy

Post by jseguy » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:53 am

fb88,

Thank you for the reply.

My anxiety issues have been under wraps for over a year now, until I started getting these lumps and it's back with a vengeance. I've decided against medication as they literally turn me into a zombie. I was taking Cipralex (aka: Lexapro) a couple years ago.

I watched the documentary "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" and it has really motivated me to try a raw food diet and juicing -- I realize that drinking some fruits and veggies isn't going to be a miracle cure, but considering my body is so depleted it can't hurt.

I'm going to make some drastic dietary changes, using this next week to ease into it..

It's quite scary when these things just pop up, more and more as the weeks go by.
Last edited by matt on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed the Youtube link, unfortunally it's not working in my country
jseguy

Post by jseguy » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:58 am

Also, I can't help but think there is a possible link with the Prevacid (Lazoprazole) I was taking for Acid Reflux.

It seemed that when I was taking these 2x a day, is when all of this started... could just be a coincidence, but you never know.

I just stopped taking them and will accomplish relief through dietary changes,
matt
Lipoma Guru
Number of lipomas: 61-100

Post by matt » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:25 am

Hi there jseguy!

Thanks for your introduction. You said you have had atleast one of your lipoma for a long time. What about the others? Have they just recently started to pop up or haven't you just noticed them before?

It's very common for new lipomas to hurt like hell, especially if pressed. I have myself experienced the stabbing pain when I had a lipoma around my left hip. Before it was cut out I sometimes woke up in the middle of the night screaming for pain. And I consider myself as a pretty tough guy :roll:

But the the pain is unimaginable if you haven't felt it yourself. Terrible. And in my case it didn't go away immediately but would continue for a minute or so no matter what I tried to do.

I guess it was because I slept on it with my whole weight. it somehow got under pressure and and it was probably pressing on some of my nerves and after awhile it started to hurt so badly I would wake.
Hi I'm Matt - the creator and owner of this site. I have dozens of small nasty lipomas all over. I've tried many treatments including surgery and Lipostabil injections. See my lipoma prevention supplement recommendations and please consider donating a small amount via PayPal (click the Donate button) to keep this site up and running. Thx!

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:33 am

Hey Matt,

Thanks for the reply, but more importantly thank you for the board!

The one on my chest has been there forever, I always just thought it was a pimple or something.. I remember asking the doc about it in my teens (i'm 33 now) and he wasn't concerned so neither was I. The difference is, that one is above my skin. All of these ones in my abdominal area and a couple in my back are all under the skin.

It makes me wonder if the pain I was feeling was in fact these Lipomas "growing" and making room... but my White Blood Cell count was elevated and I had flu like symptoms and with all the bugs going around it wouldn't shock me if I did indeed get the flu around the time I found this first lump.

The only major change in my life recently was being on Previcid for a couple of months, recently being told to take it 2X per day... but as I can see from all the posts here, nobody really seems to know why or how these things pop up...

I'm going to make some dietary changes, as I need to anyway... but if it has any positive effect on these Lipomas then i'll report. Personally, I have no issue with getting them removed by surgery.. but not if they are going to keep growing back! So, we'll see how the removed one does and if I have any issues... my surgeon suggests we just remove the ones that hurt or cause me issues and leave the others... but still waiting for the lab results.
jseguy

Post by jseguy » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:34 am

Oops, I guess I was logged out.
Harsandhu7
Number of lipomas: 2-10

Post by Harsandhu7 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:47 am

This happened to me! Did you figure out cause? Did doctors figure out what it was? Thanks Matt.