What causes lipomas?

Talk about anything and everything related to lipomas and related healthcare issues here.

Moderator: matt

matt
Lipoma Guru
Number of lipomas: 61-100

Re: What causes lipomas?

Post by matt » Wed May 02, 2012 10:05 am

Here's a study how corticostreroid caused subcutaneous nodules to a patient.

Although they do not unfortunally give any histological data for these subcutaneous nodules they could be something similar to lipomas. Lipoma is also a type of a subcutaneous nodule.

The patient had been eating 10 mg prednisolone daily for the past decade. Then suddenly the patient developed several subcutaneous lumps. The lumps were studied and they found no bacteria when they did the acid-fast staining (acid fast test is done when bacteria is searched from the tissue sample since bacteria do not show up easily in other staining methods).

But when they cultured the biopsy Mycobacterium chelonae appeared. It is the cause of cutaneous infection, especially following trauma or surgery. It's somewhat interesting that first they couldn't see any bacteria but when they cultured the biopsy the bacteria appeared.

They then started to treat the patient with antibiotics (clarithromycin and ciprofloxacin) and the lumps and the student's elbow (olecranon bursae) started to regress but took nearly 4 months before they disappeared.
Hi I'm Matt - the creator and owner of this site. I have dozens of small nasty lipomas all over. I've tried many treatments including surgery and Lipostabil injections. See my lipoma prevention supplement recommendations and please consider donating a small amount via PayPal (click the Donate button) to keep this site up and running. Thx!
matt
Lipoma Guru

Post by matt » Wed May 02, 2012 10:52 am

Another study where a patient developed in a short period of time multiple lipomas (there's a photo behind the link) after starting antiretroviral drug and tuberculosis treatment.

In this study the researchers report that no bacteria was found when the lipoma biopsy was cultured.

The researchers remain puzzled of why the lipomas appeared.

There are other similar findings available.
Hi I'm Matt - the creator and owner of this site. I have dozens of small nasty lipomas all over. I've tried many treatments including surgery and Lipostabil injections. See my lipoma prevention supplement recommendations and please consider donating a small amount via PayPal (click the Donate button) to keep this site up and running. Thx!
sjohn

Post by sjohn » Wed May 02, 2012 10:34 pm

Matt that's one hell of a find! Thanks a lot!
karikari

Post by karikari » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:12 pm

That what hulda Clark being talking about parsites inside tumor etc, she claims u can shrink them as well, I posted a link to her earlier books then relise I posted wrong link earlier book didn't have much tumor info in it, these two books have lot of about tumor formation and shrinking,

http://educate-yourself.org/hc/CureForA ... ancers.pdf
http://www.free-energy-info.com/Hulda.pdf
Ronni

Post by Ronni » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:57 pm

"But when they cultured the biopsy Mycobacterium chelonae appeared. They are a cause of cutaneous infection, especially following trauma or surgery. It's somewhat interesting that first they couldn't see any bacteria but when they cultured the biopsy the bacteria appeared."

I have had what is thought to be a lipoma in my left upper thigh since 2009, just below the lymphatic system in my leg. It is deeper than the layers of skin, seems hard rather than malleable, and from the ultra-sonic scan I had then (about 3 years ago), appears to be connected to the fat tissue closest to the muscle. I have been reading these posts with great interest, but still come away with more questions than answers. :?

The statement above makes the most sense to me, as so far, I have only one of these lumps, and it coincidentally happens to be in the leg I injured when I was 19 yrs old (about 18 yrs ago). I tore the cartilage in my knee pretty bad, and had no insurance, so I healed it slowly over time. My knee filled with excess fluid, which lasted for months. I gradually built up strength in it through riding a bike daily, and it was fairly strong, although it would "pop" out on occasions when I would do something stressful (like sliding into 3rd base at a softball game). It would swell, then go back down again.

But in recent years, I have not ridden my bike much, my legs are not as muscular, and in fact I have terrible circulation, and onset of vericose veins, which have increased each year since I had a child in 1999. The knee "goes out" infrequently, but never swells anymore. Because I have crappy insurance, I am unable to address the knee injury or the lipoma, as they are considered "pre-existing" conditions. The only other person who has experienced these lumps in my family is my younger brother, who had several in his mid-section (torso). He used to work construction, was prone to alot of weird injuries, also liked to get in brawls :)

I have read some of the research, and it seems to me the theory of the lymph system "dumping" toxic material after an illness or injury makes total sense. I have also noticed that when I feel stressed, ill, or am experiencing high pressure in weather patterns (which is often here in the desert during summer), the lipoma area swells, and seems to press on nerves in the leg. Walking does not seem to bother it much, but sitting for long periods (as I tend to do more in the summer) pisses it off. I really want to reduce if not rid myself of this thing, and certainly hope I do not develop more.

I am taking yoga (although not daily), and am working on my diet (more fruits, vegies), quitting smoking (have been less than a pack a week for 4 years), and am looking for natural but scientifically sound ways to deal with this condition. My worst fear is that it may become cancerous...how would I even know? :|

Any thoughts on my situation would be welcome, as I don't think I can scan every post in this forum (wouldn't be healthy to sit around all day, would it?). :D

Thanks!
matt
Lipoma Guru

Post by matt » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:06 am

Hi Ronni, if getting a lipoma is rare (well, maybe 1 in 100) then turning a lipoma into a cancer is extremely rare. Infact some believe it's not even possible. It is though but very unlikely.

I have often thought to myself - in the middle of all these lumps - thank god I didn't get cancer. At least not yet.

But you shouldn't really worry about your lipoma turning into a cancer. It's like worrying in a jet liner it'll fall. It might but it's very unlikely and will take the joy out of it.

Many have proposed the link between an injury and lipoma. Heck, it's even been studied in medical science. Some still argue that these posttraumatic lipomas aren't really lipomas but I disagree. I think they are as real lipomas as any.

I actually think most of my lipomas have appeared to the spots of injury. Again, an injury is only a trigger for us who have them, it doesn't really cause lipomas. Otherwise everyone who has ever had a trauma would have lipomas.

These things seem to run in families. It could be that the genetic code makes us somehow more vulnerable (predisposed) to lipomas. But it doesn't mean there no use to fight back.
sjohn

Post by sjohn » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:52 pm

I recently made a discovery, after losing some pounds. The lipomas became easier to see and so did my blood vessels. I discovered that some of the lipomas where actually following my vessels. To make it easier to understand i edited an image from wikipedia and added some lipomas
lipoma.png
I added the Youtube tags to display the video
(its the yellow circles on the blue vein). Thus i think that, at least in my case, Dr Herbst's assumption made in this video

is propably correct. I believe that i have some leaking blood vessels that create this problem. I also recently noticed that a member of my family has some lipomas in the exact same place as me.
daileycandi

Post by daileycandi » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:56 pm

I am really happy to have found others who are researching these nasty things. I would love to find a cure! My mother has over 100 on her body and she is tired of having them removed. Her first one came up when she was about 35 years old, 35 years ago. then after that, they just kept developing. I had my first one removed from my upper thigh/groin area at the age of 31, which was 10 years ago. Since then I have found 2 more :x
Anyways, I'm a recovering food/sugar addict and after years of researching and trying to get Dr's to listen to me for numerous stomach problems and what not, I finally decided to do my own research and heal myself. This began about 6 years ago and in doing this I realized that my diet of the wrong foods had created havoc in my body. For one thing, my PH balance was way off from where it should be. I had a wart on my hand (fungus) :oops: which had been very hard to get rid of. So I decided to change everything about my diet. I cut out EVERYTHING BAD, sugar, excess carbs, any processed foods, nothing white like rice, potatoes, bread, etc. I bought everything organic because I wasn't sure which toxins were doing these negative things to my body. I was severly strict, even to the point of not eating ketchup because it contains sugar. I fasted from just about everything and I cleansed for thirty days using a parasitic/fungal cleanse from the health food store. I made other dietary changes like adding Aloe vera, chlorella, spirulina, probiotics and enzymes to my diet. (I continually cleanse 3~4 times a year minimum.) It cleared up all of my GI distress. Plus, weirdly enough, I noticed the lipoma on my stomach had shrunken considerably and no pain. I attribute this to my body now functioning at optimal levels instead of being sick and dieseased from my previously poor diet.
Ufortunately, my mother's diet is pretty bad so I haven't been able to see if any of this will work on others. She claims to eat healthy but her idea of healthy is not even close to what mine is. She will try a cleanse or something else I offer her for about a week then gives up. :cry:
One more note, I should say that I'm very active, and have had many traumas to my body, numerous broken bones, etc. with no correlation to where these lumps popped up. However, I workout consistently with an occasional intense session here and there and did actually notice a correlation to the size, pain and burning I feel in the one on my stomach with the intense workouts. I think this is due to the lactic acid as one of you had mentioned but can't figure out why my body couldn't rid itself of it the way everyone else does.
When my diet is clean, really clean, the lipoma on my stomach shrinks so much that I have a really hard time finding it! I have fairly low body fat% so it's not hidden in any fat. :)
Thank you all so much for posting your research and findings, maybe someday one of you will figure out what causes these terrible little monsters.
matt
Lipoma Guru

Post by matt » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:31 am

Hi daileycandy!

Thanks for sharing. Quite many have stated that cutting off the carbs and sugar might work for some at least. It's worth to try I think. I plan to do so myself after the summer.
robg

Post by robg » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:07 am

just searched and found this forum with some great content.

curious if anyone else with lypomas also get kanker sores in their mouth ?
matt
Lipoma Guru

Post by matt » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:30 am

Hi and welcome to the forum! I think I may have had canker sores but I know I have more often herpes simplex.
cta7978b

Post by cta7978b » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:37 am

Mycobacterial lipoprotein synthesis
http://mic.sgmjournals.org/content/153/3/652.full.pdf

Extremely elevated lipoprotein lipase activity in adipose tissue was found in MSL patients
http://www.jlr.org/content/24/5/566.full.pdf

I was infected with m.bovis through BCG immunotherapy treatments for bladder cancer, now I have lipomatosis going on in my abdomen. I've had 6 cut out to date the first two path reports were lipomas.. So m.bovis is the bovine strain of tuberculosis, the lipomatosis only occurred when I was drinking too much alcohol and beat down my immune system and the m.bovis bugs got to work. I thought I had Dercum's for a while, until I figured out it was BCG induced tuberculosis;

http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/dercum ... 0#10107264

This is the article I want to get my hands on (only in French, just the title!)

2 cases of systematized lipomatosis associated with bone tuberculosis treated by bacteriostatics
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/5402868
matt
Lipoma Guru

Post by matt » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:11 pm

Thanks for the links! Very interesting. I hadn't come across your article of tuberculosis associated with lipomatosis before but I've seen similar like this one: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/5117840 Unfotunally this and your link provide no additional information.

It's been pretty clear to me for quite some time that microbial infection may induce lipomas and your links seem to confirm this even more.
pepeluiso
Number of lipomas: 100+

Post by pepeluiso » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:24 pm

I have only lipomas no DD, i registered looking solution about this problem.

After reading the thread i see that
Dercums Disease (DD) patients have an abnormal body system in which their blood vessels are too porous and leak toxins into the body. Blood vessels in normal people only leak small amounts.
Could be the cause of our lipomas also?, Blood vessels too porous.

This could be genetic, could be related with excessive workout because of more blood pressure.

Perhaps stress or more blood presure than normal with porous vessels could create lipomas.

I was searching for natural remedy and look this plant than could reduce the porousity in vessels because it has Aescin.

Horse Chestnut Herb (Castaño de Indias en Español)
It is known to aid circulation in the body and decrease the fragility of the walls of blood vessels. According to a study published in the February 1996 issue of the British medical journal Lancet, horse chestnut extract is just as effective as compression stockings in curing people with chronic venous insufficiency. Horse chestnut tones the walls of blood vessels, making them less porous and reducing their chances of becoming slack and swollen.
Aescin or escin is a mixture of saponins with anti-inflammatory, vasoconstrictor and vasoprotective effects found in Aesculus hippocastanum (the horse chestnut). Aescin is the main active compound in horse chestnut, and is responsible for most of its medicinal properties.
Perhaps what they call porous vessesl is a form of permeability in vessels, an homeostatic process, perhaps our body could regulate how porous must be our vessels, and this is not working well, in this phorum i just read people relating the lipoma with lactic acid, or with urea, i think this process are also related to permeability in vessels to eliminate this substances. I relaetd this thing also with blood presure. In my mind i see the leaked toxins from porous vessels not perfectly distributed but collecting like puddles in our body starting the body reaction like lipomas.

My medical knowledge is very very low, only elemntary school, this thoughts are only intuitions reading the thread and phorum.

I will try the Horse Chestnut Herb for myself.
dino

Post by dino » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:12 am

Personally i think (at least concerning FML) lipomas have something to do with the Lymphoid system. I have noticed that some of my lipomas (if not all) are located above my lymphatic vessels (see http://www.innerbody.com/image/lympov.html). But that might be just me. You have to consider that there are many different types of lipomas, so each type might relate to something different.
After reading this and going to the link, i can see that most of mine are located similarly
I'm going to continue to read but am wondering if mine have anything to do with my love of sodas & sweets, my medicines - methotrexate & others, my rheumatoid arthitis or my previous colon cancer.... plus i'm wondering if removal seems to increase the chance for reoccurance
matt
Lipoma Guru

Post by matt » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:16 am

Everything is possible eventhough those lymphatic vessels travel almost everywhere. I would think lipomas would appear more in the lower extremities (especially in legs) if it was so but I have understood lipomas rarely appear in legs.
matt
Lipoma Guru

Post by matt » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:41 am

I know some think that I should just accept the genetic predisposition and nothing-we-can-do attitude already but I just can't.

We know already that microbes can alter the DNA.

It is also known that tuberculosis can persist long periods in human even if treated.

Lipomas originate from the adipose tissue (fat cells).

There is adipose tissue throughout the body. Scientists have found out that this tissue, among others, might constitute a vast reservoir where the tubercle bacillus could persist for long periods of time, and avoid both killing by antimicrobials and recognition by the host immune system.

Mycobacterium tuberculosis can enter inside the fat cells where it accumulates intracytoplasmic lipid inclusions and survives in a non-replicating state that is insensitive to the major anti-mycobacterial drugs.

Tuberculosis has been associated with tumors from time to time. Maybe lipomas appear as a response to the bacteria or maybe if this is a fact for tuberculosis it might be a fact for other tumor causing microbes as well.

Why don't the scientist agree? Because they usually can't find any microbes from lipomas. Well it looks like the scientist don't necessarily know what to look for and aren't trained to use specific magnifications and acid-fast methods.

The above article is written by a medical doctor Alan Cantwell to whom I have previously been in contact. Dr Cantwell thinks it is possible that similar cancer bacteria may be responsible for benign tumors too:
HI Matt:

I never studied lipomas for bacteria.....although I found bacteria in inflammations of the fatty portion of the skin (panniculitis). Also there is some evidence that similar bacteria are found in "benign" diseases.

I honestly can't answer your question, but it wouldn't surprise me if bacteria were eventually found in connection with fat tumors. I also think these bacteria, which we all carry, are implicated in many forms of disease.......perhaps one's genetic makeup determines how these bacteria eventually influence the cancerous and non-cancerous diseases that plague us all eventually.

We have much to learn.

Thanks for your interest.

Dr C
matt
Lipoma Guru

Post by matt » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:07 pm

How I think lipomatosis might be passed from a generation to another?

Check this out.
Nature sometimes seems possessed of a sardonic humor.

In the 1930's a group of American geneticists, long concerned with the incidence of "spontaneous" tumors in rodents, undertook to determine how a pronounced liability of female mice of certain strains to develop mammary carcinomas as they grow old is inherited; and by breeding tests they came upon the astounding fact that this liability reaches the young from their mothers.

How can this be?

Was it passed on through the ovum, the placenta, or what? A member of their group made a revealing test soon afterwards. He arranged for some of the young of the strain under study to be suckled from birth by mice of a breed in which the cancers do not occur; and the mice thus wet-nursed never had any!

His later work showed that the liability to these cancers had been due to a virus passed on to the young in their very first milk. This virus lay latent within them until they matured, and then it caused orderly, benign tumors in the breasts of the females; and from these growths carcinomas derived by steplike changes like those already described.

To this day no virus directly responsible for the cancers has been obtained from these, but only the "milk virus" producing the benign growths. The problem of the actuating cause of the cancers remains unsolved like that of the V x 2 carcinoma of rabbits4. In both instances the virus causing the benign tumor was no more than an initiator of the malignant growth deriving from them.
The whole Nobel lecture from 1966 is a must read!
flipon

Post by flipon » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:42 am

My lipoma growth started on my wrist. It started about 4/2012 and grew to the size of a walnut. For some unknown reason within the past month, it started to shrink and is now 1/5th the size as of 10/5/2012. The only thing that I can attributed to is that I changed my vitamins formulation which was about a month ago. I'm not trying to sell anything but this might help somebody out there. Here's what I take as of now:
1) Vitacost Synergy Once Daily multi-vitamin: 1 capsule daily
2) Vitacost Mega EFA: 2 soft gel daily of 2126 mg
3) Vitacost Magnesium 400mg: 1 capsule daily of 400mg
4) Vitacost Calcium Citrate & Malate: 300 mg daily

Maybe somebody could figure this out of why my lipoma is shrinking. Try it out for a couple of months and tell me if there's any effect. I also mostly eat a plant base diet if that will help. All I wanted to know if there's something in these vitamins that's causing the lipoma shrinkage. Like a said I'm not trying to sell anything. I'm just curious.

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:27 pm

In the old days before the field of genetics had emerged, it was not possible to simply test an animals' genes for inherited defects. Now it is. So there is no longer any mystery about which mutations are inherited (germline) versus which are acquired (somatic.)

But it is interesting to look back on the literature of the old days to see how far knowledge has advanced since then.